The Benefits of Ear Candling – who may it help?
What are the benefits of Ear Candling is something I’ve recently been asked about. I love ear candling as I suffer from both hayfever and sinusitis and it really helps clear my passages and relieve pressure, plus removes the impurities that are within the ear and tubes.
Ear candling has been used by different cultures from ancient Greece, Asia and American Indians. It was brought to Europe by the Hopi people, a tribe of Pueblo Indians who lived in harmony with mother earth. Hopi means “peaceful people, people of place”. The candles were used as part of their shamanic healing practices and are relaxing, nurturing and cleansing.
It can relieve many symptoms and issues including:
- Irritations to the ear and sinuses
- Aid pressure regulation – (from headaches, migraines, sinusitis, rhinitis)
- Hayfever – (can reduce severity of the allergic reaction)
- Noises in the ear – (eg ringing, crackling or feeling of water)
- Tinnitus – (empirically hearing may improve, but insufficient evidence of resolution of tinnitus itself)
- Colds – (help relieve congestion and ease discomfort)
- Wax blockage – (blockages can irritate the ear or make it feel “full” and can affect hearing, regular treatments can relieve and prevent excess buildup; an alternative to syringing)
- Glue ear – (the middle ear becomes blocked by fluid, affecting hearing, usually in children under 8). Candling can not be done if grommets are in place (or removed within last 3 months), but a monthly treatment may help to release and clear
- Snoring – (by clearing the nasal passages breathing can happen through the nose rather than mouth & reduce soft palate’s vibration)
- Labyrinthitis – (this is a bacterial or viral infection of the balance controlling part of the labyrinth (inner ear). Its symptoms are vertigo, nausea, hearing loss and tinnitus. Candling may help clear the infection and tubes)
- Meniere’s disease – (a progressive serious inner ear problem, candling may relieve the stress of this condition)
- Neuralgia of a facial nerve (the candling may improve the circulation around nerve endings plus the facial massage at the end of the candling)
- Bell’s palsy – (where one side of the face droops, candling may provide relief through the action of the candling on the tear ducts and also by the massage)
- Loss of smell – (candling may stimulate the olfactory system through the aroma of the burning candle)
- Swimmer’s/ surfers ear – (the infection of the outer ear canal (otitis externa), the components of the candle can reduce the flow of secretions and vapours soothe the outer ear canal and dry the infected water lodged in the canal
- Flying/ diving pressure – (the candle’s warmth may help the opening and closing of the eustachian tubes, which control the balance of pressure to the inner ear, thus reducing pain and discomfort from the build up of pressure
- Motion sickness- (by keeping the inner ear in balance, reduces motion sickness plus relaxation of the massage at the end)
- TMJ (jaw joint dysfunction) – ( this joint is important for the flow of ear wax and the candle warmth and massage may aid this action)
- Disturbance of the lymphatic system – (warmth of the candle and massage may help the mandibular, occipital and cervical & parotid lymph nodes work more effectively
- Neck tension – (the release of stress from the ear though the candling and massage may help release neck tension)
There are contraindications where ear candling should not be carried out.
This document lists all contraindications, click to open.
What Happens in an Ear Candling Session
- You will lie down on your side, a candle will be lit and placed carefully in your ear.
- You may hear sizzling, popping or rushing sounds, it is a very relaxing noise sensation.
- After approximately 8-10 minutes the candle will be removed and extinguished.
- You will then be asked to turn on the other side and the same process will happen.
- As I am a practising Reiki Master-Teacher you will also benefit from the flow of universal healing energy during the candling session.
- Once both ears have been candled, you will be asked to lie on your back
- A facial massage and lymphatic drainage massage will be carried out, this is very relaxing, helps drainage and stimulates the lymphatic flow in the jaw.
- You will then be given time to come around and sit up and a glass of water.
- I will then share with you some aftercare advice and discuss future therapy benefits.
- If you have any questions please ask.
There are many benefits to ear candling, as well as those mentioned above it is very relaxing and cleansing. There is a feeling of clarity and space after a session. The massage at the end is also very relaxing and by encouraging the muscles to relax may release pressure, tension and pain.
If you would like to discuss the benefits of ear candling of your personal circumstances with me then please do contact me by phone or email.
Romella is an award winning Holistic and Energy Practitioner based in Newport Shropshire & Ironbridge and available through Skype. aka Chief Calm Creator. I work with you, the whole you, to create packages to empower you to be the person you want to be. I include energy healing & clearing, relaxation techniques, life purpose support & teach self-help tools for you, your children and your family. To bring about a space of calm and positive change for the whole family.